|Ask The Expert: Water software 101
|Question: Q: Hello, I'm a student at Minnesota's Southwest State University. For my Marketing Research class, my team was given a local project to research. The question we've been asked to answer is to find the demand for software specially designed for water softener or water conditioner dealers. This brings me to your publication... I was just wondering if you would have any information concerning current software that would be available especially for the dealers. Is there any such software at all? Any reference or help that you would be able to give me would be great. Thank you for your time.
Answer: Q: WC&P has had a number of articles on software specific to the POU/POE water treatment and bottled water industry as well as general route business software, mostly related to our ComputerWare column launched in September 1999. Generally, the companies involved in this market include Nevada Computer Systems, UNCO Data Systems, Commercial Business Systems, PC Data/Prism Visual Software, HydroTec Systems Company, Tyrol Data Systems, etc. Feel free to visit their websites. You can find additional information by doing a search for "computer" "software" and any of the following: "water", "water industry", "water treatment", or "drinking water." The results may vary according to market segments from municipal to industrial, etc. To save time, you'll need to be selective in what you choose to view.
Meanwhile, here's a list of articles from WC&P on software/computer topics:
• February 2002: "Avoiding the Lotus Lag: Implementing Accelerator Software," Gordon Dorworth
• November 2001: "Computer Ware: The Route Not Taken -- or Routing Redux," Fred Bussone
• October 2001: "Routing Automation Technology: One Way to Keep Pace with a Growing Population," Jennifer Persechino
• August 2001: "ComputerWare: Dealers Needn`t Fear Additional Market Niches; They May have the Appropriate Software In-House to Manage IT," Charles D. (Charlie) Kent
• April 2001: "ComputerWare: Security Revisited—Ensuring a Safe Ride on the E-Commerce Highway," Pete Simpson
• March 2001: "Carbon Software: Programs for Design & Optimization of GAC Adsorption in Water Treatment," Henry G. Nowicki, Ph.D.
• January 2001: "ComputerWare: Handhelds for Your Route Deliveries—Is It Time to Make Your Move?" Fred Bussone
• October 2000: "Carbon Software Programs: Sorbent Performance Evaluation ASTM Aqueous Phase Isotherm Program," Henry G. Nowicki, Ph.D., and Wayne Schuliger, P.E.
• July 2000: "ComputerWare: Back to the Basics—The Case for Industry Specific Software," Fred Bussone and Dick McHose
• May 2000: "Carbon: Software Programs for the Activated Carbon Industry—ASTM Particle Sizing Program," Henry G. Nowicki, Ph.D., and Homer Yute
• April 2000: "ComputerWare: Security Basics," Pete Simpson
• February 2000: "Bottled Water: Automated Order Processing—Software System and Business Cooperation Reduce Delivery Time, Increase Savings," Wayne E. Seel
• December 1999: "ComputerWare: Y2K—The Last Stretch," Fred Bussone
• September 1999: "ComputerWare: The Hard and Soft of Information Technology," Peter Simpson
Feel free to access them via our website "Archive" or "FIND" functions at www.wcponline.com
Return to Ask The Expert index